We’ve had a very mild winter so far, but January is here and cold weather is sure to follow! When you are preparing yourself for cold weather you should also include your vehicle. Follow these tips to help make sure you are prepared when the temperatures start dropping.
Important items to keep in your car.
No matter what the weather there are some items that are always good to keep in your car. Below is a list of items you should have in your car in the event of an emergency during the winter.
1. First Aid kit
2. A warm blanket
3. A flashlight with spare batteries
4. Jumper cables
5. Extra windshield washer fluid
6. A compact shovel to dig through snow or ice
7. Flares or reflective triangles
8. Non-perishable food and bottled water
Below are some winter maintenance tips for your vehicle. Keeping your car in good maintenance condition will help ensure you get to your destination without problem.
1. Check your battery. You can go to most auto service departments and have them check to see how much life is left in your battery.
2. Keep your oil changes current. Typically oil changes are required at 3,000 – 5,000 miles.
3. Check your other engine fluids including your windshield washer fluid.
4. Check your tire pressure and tread! Tires can lose as much as 8 pounds of pressure due to cold weather.
5. Check your windshield wiper blades and replace if needed.
6. Keep your gas tank full.
7. Scrape all snow and ice off all windows.
8. Add weight to your trunk. Cargo that won’t shift easily in the trunk can decrease the chances of fishtailing, increase traction and prevent tire spinning.
Along with these helpful tips, take your time when driving on slick roads and maintain a safe distance. We all want to see you get home safely.
Encova Winter Safety Tips